safeTALK TRAINING, Stockbridge, MA - 5/31/18
DATE: Thursday, May 31, 2018
LOCATION: Austen Riggs Center- 25 Main St., Stockbridge, MA 01262
COST: $10.00 (Scholarships available)
CREDITS: 3 CEU's will be available via an online quiz and online $15 payment after the course is completed.
Hosted by: AFSP Western Mass
safeTALK is a half-day alertness training that prepares anyone over the age of 15, regardless of prior experience or training, to become a suicide-alert helper. Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die, but are struggling with the pain in their lives. Through their words and actions, they invite help to stay alive. safeTALK-trained helpers can recognize these invitations and take action by connecting them with life-saving intervention resources, such as caregivers trained in ASIST.
Since its development in 2006, safeTALK has been used in over 20 countries around the world, and more than 200 selectable video vignettes have been produced to tailor the program’s audio-visual component for diverse audiences. safeTALK-trained helpers are an important part of suicide-safer communities, working alongside intervention resources to identify and avert suicide risks.
LEARNING GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
Over the course of their training, safeTALK participants will learn to:
• Notice and respond to situations where suicide thoughts might be present
• Recognize that invitations for help are often overlooked
• Move beyond the common tendency to miss, dismiss, and avoid suicide
• Apply the TALK steps: Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe
• Know community resources and how to connect someone with thoughts of suicide to them for further help
• Presentations and guidance from a LivingWorks registered trainer
• Access to support from a local community resource person
• Powerful audiovisual learning aids
• The simple yet effective TALK steps: Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe
• Hands-on skills practice and development
safeTALK helps expand the reach of suicide intervention skills in communities around the world.
MORE INFORMATION - CONTACT: