Future MHFA Course Offerings:
Thank you for the overwhelming response to our course offerings. Because we filled both classes we are looking at holding an additional class later this summer. To be the first notified of the next Mental Health First Aid Course (or other courses held through Berkshire Coalition for Suicide Prevention and it's partners) just register for our course notification list:
Again Thank You!
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID COURSE
Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course that teaches you how to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The training helps you identify, understand, and respond to signs of addictions and mental illnesses.
This course is delivered by Certified Mental Health First Aid USA Instructors who have completed a 5-day training and meet the certification requirements.
Click on "Course Registration" in menu or click Registration button below
NOTE: Our training was filled
See note above for future course offerings
OUR COURSE OFFERINGS....
Choose from one of these two locations:
- June 9 , Thursday: Holiday Inn, North Adams, MA
June 10, Friday: Berkshire Community College, 1350 West Street, Pittsfield, MA
BCC Bldg/Rm: Susan B. Anthony Student Center (where campus cafeteria is located)
Cafeteria area can be entered directly from ground level or from Quad into Student Center and follow signs to cafeteria - down stairs to lower level)
Download Map: Click for Campus Map (with red highlighted class location)
It's "A" Building on the campus map
College Website for directions/travel times: Click for Directions
TIME: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, registration & breakfast 7:30 am
Cost: FREE includes breakfast, lunch, course materials and Continuing Education Credits
for SW, LMFT, Nursing, Substance Abuse & Rehabilitation Counselors
Credits: 8 Continuing Education Credits
Registration at each location is limited so register early. Please choose only one registration location, (the same course is being offered at each location). If the course(s) fill we have included a 'Waiting List' registration for each Location (this is first come-first serve). If a slot opens we will contact you for the additional required registration information.
Fill in all required fields. You will be prompted for "Billing Address" this is required information (name and full address). The "Secure Payment" Fields (Card Card Number, Security Code and Expiration Date fields) will display on final order page but they are not required and can be left blank. (Note: This is a free course and NO payment/credit card is required)
Note for PO Box Addresses:
For PO Box Addresses you may need to enter your full 9 digit zip-code (so zip includes your PO Box #) for your address to be accepted.
Questions? Contact Peggy Morse:
- Email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 413-441-6316, leave message
Continuing Education Sponsor: Berkshire AHEC
This program is funded in full by: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP.org)
This program is supported by: AFSP Out of the Darkness Community Walks in the Berkshires
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention - Western Mass Chapter
- Berkshire Coalition for Suicide Prevention
- Berkshire AHEC
- Mass Dept of Public Health - Suicide Prevention Program
- Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention
- NAMI-Berkshire County
- The Brien Center
- Berkshire Medical Center
1. Recognize the potential risk factors for a range of mental health problems, including: depression, anxiety/trauma, psychosis and psychotic disorders, substance abuse disorders, and self-injury.
2. Recognize the warning signs for a range of mental health problems, including: depression, anxiety/trauma, psychosis and psychotic disorders, substance abuse disorders, and self-injury.
3. Summarize a 5-step action plan to help an individual in crisis connect with appropriate professional help.
4. Interpret the prevalence of various mental health disorders in the US and the need for reduced negative attitudes in their communities.
5. Recognize the appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help resources available to help someone with a mental health problem treat and manage the problem and achieve recovery.
6. Recognize and correct misconceptions about mental health and mental illness.
7. Recognize your own views and feelings about mental health problems and disorders.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?:
This course helps anyone who wants to learn how to provide initial help to someone who may be experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or in crisis. This course gives people the tools to help fiends, family members, colleagues, or others in the community.
Who should attend?
- College/university leaders
- Educators/school administrators
- Human resources professionals
- Nurses./physician assistants/primary care workers
- Public safety personnel
- Members of faith communities
- Social services staff and volunteers
- Substance abuse professionals
- Social workers
- The general public - Anyone who wants to provide initial help to family members, friends, colleagues or others in their community.
- Nursing: This program meets the requirements for 8 nursing contact hours as specified by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing - 244 CMR 5.04.
- Social Work: This program has been approved for 8 Social Work Continuing Education hours for relicensure, in accordance with 258 CMR. Collaborative of NASW and the Boston College and Simmons Schools of Social Work Authorization Number D 70336-1.
- LMFT: This program has been certified by the FDA/CE for 8 hours of professional continuing education for Marriage and Family Therapists.
- Rehabilitation Counselors: Application has been made to the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC) for the approval of credits for rehabilitation counselors.
- Substance Abuse Counselors: Application has been made to the Massachusetts Board of Substance Abuse Counselor Certification, Inc. (MBSACC) for the approval of credits for substance abuse counselors in Massachusetts.
Successful Completion Requirements: Participants are expected to sign in and out, attend the entire program, and complete an evaluation. No partial credit will be awarded.
Other Professional Development Credits: For those who would like to submit their course attendance for other professional development credit/contact hours we will be providing a Certificate of Attendance (for full attendance only) as well as a downloadable packet of the course objectives, flyer and brochure that you can submit to an authorizing authority/agency not on the above list (We can not guarantee the credits will be accepted/recognized for other than those groups listed above but we will provide those materials to our attendees for assistance with their professional development)
- Continuing Education: Certificates will be distributed by mail to participants 6 to 8 weeks after the program. (You will be required at registration to identify if Continuing Education Credits are requested).
- Special Requests: If you are hearing impaired, or are differently-abled and require special accommodations, (including food allergies), please contact Peggy Morse: Email (preferred): Requests@BerkshireCoalition.org or Phone: 413-441-6316 (leave message). Please notify us immediately for special requests (You will be required at registration to identify if Special Requests are being made). Note: For those with food allergies we will try to have alternative options provided for food selections but may not be able to provide alternatives for all food allergies that may be identified. Also we can not guarantee that food providers at these locations have processes in place to remove all chance of cross-contamination during food-prep and serving. If you are concerned you are welcome to bring in breakfast/lunch items to be assured your full needs are met.
- Course Cancellation: We reserve the right to cancel a program due to low registration, speaker illness, cancellation or other uncontrollable circumstances. Notice of cancellation will be provided to registrants by email as soon as we become aware of the need to cancel. We will also post cancellation information on BCSP’s website at: www.BerkshireCoalition.org/training.
(You will be required at registration to agree to Berkshire Coalition for Suicide Prevention's Terms of Service, Policies, Waivers & Agreements).
If you need to cancel your registration: Email Peggy Morse at: Cancel@BerkshireCoalition.org or call: 413-441-6316 (leave message) with your contact information and your registered course location. Please contact us prior to June 7th so your seat can be made available to our waiting list attendees. Note: If you do not attend the full course you will not be awarded credit hours (No partial credit hours). Because of cost the training materials are only available to course attendees.